Sport aficionados have a lot to look forward to this summer judging by the number of sporting events lined up. From football to golf, athletics to rugby, there is enough on the menu to cater to every taste.
Summer is simply the best time to travel, and if you and your friends are still looking for a summer plan, why not go on a sports vacation? Travel round the world catching your favorite teams, athletes, or sports personalities in action. Watch them as they compete with others, and cheer them on as they emerge victorious in their specialties.
To give you a few ideas, here are five major events slated for this summer:
- Athletics. The IAAF Diamond League series will kick off the summer on a high note. You and your friends can travel to Birmingham, England to catch the part of the series starting on 5th June.
- Football. If football is your game, be sure not to miss the UEFA Euro 2016 in France. Be part of the action from 10th June to 10th July as Spain, the two-time defending champions, seek to hold on to their title.
- Tennis. This year, the Wimbledon tennis tournament will take place from 27th June to 10th July. Join hundreds of tennis fans to watch the reigning champions defending their title.
- Cycling. The other big fixture on the sporting calendar this summer is the Tour de France. The competition will start on 2nd July and will come to a close on 24th July.
- The Olympic Games. The Olympics is arguably the biggest sporting event of the year. People all over the world are waiting to descend on Rio de Janeiro to witness and be part of the competition from 5th to 21st August. This is one event you don’t want to miss out on.
There are also other numerous sporting fixtures scattered throughout the summer, and you can catch any of them depending on your preferences. Such huge events are usually a boon for the different cities hosting them as they seek to entertain visitors and give them the best experience possible. It is actually a good idea to visit these host cities when such events are on.
In order to make the most of your visit, travel with a group of your friends and have fun competitions of your own. You can bet on your favorite teams – for instance, those taking part in Euro 2016. You can place different bets, e.g. on the top scorer, how long it takes both teams to score, the total number of goals, etc. Just be sure not to gamble all your money away.
You should also take time away from the games to enjoy the local scenery, attractions, and delicacies of the host country. Go on a tour of the museums, zoos, restaurants, and other places of interest to get a feel of the people’s culture and traditions.
Make this a memorable summer by planning your trip and booking your tickets well in advance. Remember to stay alert as you attend the sporting events and have as much fun as you can.